Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Favorite Things

This is today's blogging theme =)

So here we go, these are in no particular order, I don't have THAT much time and I'm quite indecisive.

Coveted Yarn is a GREAT place to get yarn on the web. Not only do they very regularly have sales BUT if you are a fan on Facebook then they take REQUESTS FOR SALES! Yes, for yarn! Have you ever heard of such a thing? I hadn't, but it's beautiful. And if you are a die hard yarnie and bargain shopper, like myself, you can click the little button under the pic on their page after you become a fan, the 'subscribe SMS' button, and your cell phone will beep every time Robert says 'Anyone have a sale request for today?'. And you can be the first to shout right back that sweater yarn you've been eying. Life is good.

Now I haven't met a knitter/crocheter/yarnie yet who isn't aware of Ravelry so I of course have to mention them... they have a severe downfall to me though and that is that they are just TOO interesting! I get lost, totally and completely consumed. Before long I realize that I have been gazing fondly and adoringly at other people's afghans for so long, well, I could have created my own. That said though, it has many perks. Want to know what that neat looking skein of yarn will look like all worked up? Well just type it in the Ravelry search box and there ya go. Want different ideas or variations on how to put together your 'Lizard's Ridge' Afghan? Again, type it in the search box and there ya go. Just like that. Just try not to get lost and use all your knitting time on Ravelry. =)

Now, there's also Knit Picks and Elann both of who I have not ordered from but I WILL, just as soon as my budget allows. I have a friend who swears by Knit Picks and I've gotten a couple of sets of their 40" circulars for magic loop and they are my absolute favorite by far! I keep eying their kits though, that are SO reasonable. They've eliminated the problem of having to spend $80 on a hat because you need 8 different colors (that's the reason you want it in the first place is because it's so colorful!), by making kits that include a gazillion colors for like $18 for a hat. Elann has a GREAT selection of free patterns, unique from what you usually find for free patterns online, in my opinion anyways. And they also have uber cheap yarn, that I haven't, but WILL try! (Especially in the emails that I get for signing up!)


Ok, that is all off the top of my head, especially since I lost power (we are getting remnants of tropical storms here in North Carolina, just wind and rain, but enough to knock the power out for an hour or so), during that last bit and had to re-write. I want to show off the sweater I am making Demarcus right now, but need to take a picture of him in the one I already worked up. The rain is making that difficult. :-(


Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment